XTANDI is a prescription medicine used to treat men with prostate cancer that:
- no longer responds to a hormone therapy or surgical treatment to lower testosterone OR
- has spread to other parts of the body and responds to a hormone therapy or surgical treatment to lower testosterone.
It is not known if XTANDI is safe and effective in females.
It is not known if XTANDI is safe and effective in children.
What are the possible side effects of XTANDI?
XTANDI may cause serious side effects including:
- Seizure. If you take XTANDI you may be at risk of having a seizure. You should avoid activities where a sudden loss of consciousness could cause serious harm to yourself or others. Tell your healthcare provider right away if you have loss of consciousness or seizure.
- Posterior Reversible Encephalopathy Syndrome (PRES). If you take XTANDI you may be at risk of developing a condition involving the brain called PRES. Tell your healthcare provider right away if you have a seizure or quickly worsening symptoms such as headache, decreased alertness, confusion, reduced eyesight, blurred vision or other visual problems. Your healthcare provider will do a test to check for PRES.
- Allergic Reactions. Allergic reactions have happened in people who take XTANDI. Stop taking XTANDI and get medical help right away if you develop swelling of the face, tongue, lip or throat.
- Heart disease. Blockage of the arteries in the heart (ischemic heart disease) that can lead to death has happened in some people during treatment with XTANDI. Your healthcare provider will monitor you for signs and symptoms of heart problems during your treatment with XTANDI. Call your healthcare provider or go to the nearest emergency room right away if you get chest pain or discomfort at rest or with activity or shortness of breath during your treatment with XTANDI.
- Falls and fractures. XTANDI treatment may increase your risk for falls and fractures. Falls were not caused by loss of consciousness (fainting) or seizures. Your healthcare provider will monitor your risks for falls and fractures during treatment with XTANDI.
Your healthcare provider will stop treatment with XTANDI if you have serious side effects.
The most common side effects of XTANDI include:
- weakness or feeling more tired than usual
- back pain
- hot flashes
- joint pain
- decreased appetite
- high blood pressure